Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Heroes!


When I was 5 years old, my best friend lived next door. We lived in the country so friends were few and far between, as they say. I spent quite a bit of time alone, not wanting to be too much of a burden to my friend, but once in a while I would go next door and he would be in the back of his house taking care of something important I'm sure. I really had a great time with my friend, when he could play. Sometimes I'd be gone for hours and my mom would wonder where I was. She would eventually find me...out in the field, plowing with my best friend. In case you couldn't tell by now, my best friend wasn't another 5 year old. It was Mr. Chard, a grandpa type who, like I said lived next door to me. I used to stand on the fence and say, "Mr. Chard, can you play?" Even now thinking about him I miss him and his sweet and gentle way. This was many years ago; you could trust your 5 year old daughter with a man like Mr. Chard. He wouldn't hurt a fly. I remember he never had time to "play", but I remember riding the tractor next to him and plowing the fields for hours. It's too bad that the world has changed. I would have never had a best friend when I was five if I didn't have Mr. Chard. He has been gone for years, but this little girl will never forget his kindness and love.

3 comments:

  1. I had a neighbor just like him! His name was Mr Norman and he would show us his vegetable garden. He was a crusty old guy but he was always nice to us!

    Thanks for visiting my blog - everyone needs a little more Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this memory of yours. Thanks for sharing with us. What a wonderful friend for a 5 year old to have. And you're right about our lives today and not being able to trust a little girl to the neighbor man... Sad for all of now. ♥ Mercy
    BTW....I love what you have written in your profile about being happy by choice!
    Just reading that makes me want to be happier by choice as well. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. This brought tears to my eyes. Love the picture, too.

    ReplyDelete